My name is Ashley Evans. I am a graduate student at Ohio University, currently taking a class called Computers and Composition Pedagogy.
Using technology in the classroom has always seemed so daunting. Can I prevent computers from blowing up, projectors with attitudes, or volume buttons that refuse to work?
Perhaps it is because I am a millennial that social networking sites intrigue me so much. How is writing changing because of Twitter’s 140-character limit? How has communication morphed as a result of Facebook? And should we cater to our students’ slight social networking and internet addictions in a composition classroom?
Outside of school I’d rather have books than a Kindle, loathe the status iPhones/iPads give people, and still own a VCR.
Change—-including new forms of technology—-makes me nervous. So do big words.
I'm right there with you on the tech fear: I too own a VCR, could not install a basic DVD player to save my life, and much prefer books to kindle. (My confession: I do own a kindle. It was a gift. I use it to access free domain books, so I can take my full Jane Austen collection anywhere I go.) So don't worry. We'll power through all this technology together. :-)
ReplyDelete